After being regularly disappointed while sauteing mushrooms, this version finally gave me just the basic recipe to do it the right way.
- Heat olive oil in a pan over high heat. It should be hot when you put in the mushrooms
- Add button mushrooms which have been washed, well-dried and sliced. It is important to ensure that they are dried before sauteing them.
- Toss mushrooms for 4 to 5 minutes until they absorb the oil and the pan dries up. Don’t add more oil. Keeping moving the mushrooms.
- Continue sauteing for another 2 to 3 minutes until the mushrooms start to release the oil. They will brown rapidly at this point
- Remove from the heat when they are light brown. Add salt and pepper to taste. I think I read somewhere that adding salt before or while sauteing will make it release more water. Not a good thing.
Pinched from Suite101: Julia Child’s Perfect Sauteed Mushrooms